The Armorial Bearings of Assumption University

Upon achieving university status, Assumption petitioned the Earl Marshal, the Duke of Norfolk, for a grant of armorial bearings.  In virtue of a warrant issued by His Grace on September 24, 1953, the College of Heralds granted armorial bearings on March 3, 1955.

The winged lilies represent the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, the bridge symbolizes the function of a university in uniting segments of society as well as races and nations, the stag’s head is taken from the arms of the City of Windsor, the sun alludes to the County of Essex, the Greek cross represents St. Basil the Great, patron of the Basilian Fathers, the fleurs de lys and maple leaves symbolize the French and Canadian founders of Assumption College, the wolf is taken from the armorial bearings of St. Ignatius Loyola, founder of the Jesuits (who initiated the College), and the bear from the arms of the first Bishop of Regiopolis (Kingston), who obtained title from the Crown in 1830 for the land upon which the University is located.